Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beni

So I realize this is a week late, but I've been really lazy this last
week, so that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.


On the tail end of my travels, I ended up in Beni, Congo. Beni is about
an hour plane flight north of Goma and in my opinion, way better than
Goma. Maybe I'm a little biased because Goma is lava and difficult to
grow things in, but Beni was awesome. No lava. No fighting. Not as
much traffic. Life was slower and simpler (so that's pretty darn simple
compared to the states). I actually pictured the Shire from Lord of the
Rings more than once, and was very impressed with the University I was
working at there (a couple posts ago I talked a bit about UCBC).


I was working with agriculture on their 90 acres of land, mapping out
possibilities and working with them to come up with a plan for
agriculture at UCBC. It was a blast and they were excited about
everything we talked about and willing and interested in doing all sorts
of stuff. Things were going great the first of my two weeks there and I
really felt progress was being made and was excited to start putting
into practice some of the stuff I was talking about.


Then a building team came from Elmbrook Church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
and messed everything up. Okay, it was cool to talk with fellow
Wisconsinites again, and they were great people to talk to and I'm glad
they came, and they do pretty cool stuff for the university, but they
screwed with my work. As soon as they came, all of the workers and
logistical people came and helped them out and I'm not the kind of
person that insists upon doing what I want to do. I helped out a bit,
talked with students, did stuff on the computer, etc... Needless to
say, my two weeks felt a bit feeble compared to the recommendations I
had made in the first week and the lack of any showing the next week. I
tried to write things out as clearly as possible, but I don't know if
anything will happen from it. I plan on going back though (because I
loved Beni) and will see if anything has happened. I hope something
happens agriculturally, but only time will tell.

No comments: