Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Beginning of the End

Today is my last day in Beni :( I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I'm excited to go to Goma and see what has happened there since I left, but also don't really want to leave. The problem with Beni is it feels like home. It just feels comfortable and the people are nice and it is quiet (well, except the kids yelling “muzungu”, “good morning”, and “give me my money” (interestingly, they usually say “give me my money” like it is already theirs and you are only holding on to it for them)). But tomorrow I head to Goma (where everything is in shades of gray from the lava rocks and dust) and either Saturday or Sunday I'll head to Kigali. Monday is to Nairobi where I'll spend a week doing who knows what (well, I hope someone knows because I don't know what I'll be doing).

Looking back, it's easy to see all the things that I didn't do, or that didn't go so well. The tiller tire has caused numerous problems, the weather, the students weren't very involved with what I was doing this time, only half the rabbit's houses were built, I did not do any teaching outside of Delphin and Isengo, etc...

But that would put a huge damper on all that was accomplished. There is a field where there previously was none. Isengo and Delphin know how to use the tiller (when it works) and do a pretty good job with it. They are beginning to notice while operating the tiller if there is a problem, and know to shut the tiller off before untangling the weeds from the tines. Isengo especially seems really comfortable with it and as they take care of the crops that are there now and have extra time, they will be able to expand the field with the tillers in a more responsible way than had I not come. The problem with machines in Congo is they are often abused and not taken care of, and hopefully the tillers will be taken care of.

We have three rabbit houses, and most of the materials for three more. Last time I was here, I tried to get materials to build rabbit houses for three days and then we got some wood for something and then the tools didn't work and that was already the last day I was here, so the fact that we have three houses built is awesome. They are neither plumb nor square, but they are not going anywhere. They are built solidly and look halfway decent too. Even though the university doesn't have the rabbits yet, I'm confident that with the houses built, they will get some soon.

I didn't work a lot with the students, but I did get to talk to many of them, some for the first time, and some I had met last year. I had some very good conversations about Congolese life and what the students saw as some of the problems of Congo and potential ways of fixing them. It was very encouraging to me to see the hope of the students and hear their talk about changing Congo for the better. Quite often though I just tried to get to know the students as much as possible, asking about their families, what they are studying, why, etc...

I didn't get to speak or teach to a lot of people, but I did encourage many. Just being here is great and I tried to help wherever I could and to talk with the family members at the house and use my Swahili as much as possible. I'm really surprised by how much Swahili I remembered, and it really helped me to work with Isengo and Delphin since neither guy knew English. Some times were frustrating, but I would work out some way of saying what I wanted in Swahili. Congolese people were always so excited to hear that a muzungu knew Swahili and especially when I would talk to them in Swahili.

Now that I'm getting ready to leave the question people ask the most is "when are you coming back?" It is a question I don't know the answer to, but I do know if God says "go back to Beni," I would not think twice about it. The only thing is, when I come back, I won't be traveling alone, as I believe my fiance (and by the time I would come back, my wife) will not let me go anywhere again without her. Don't worry Mupenzi (my Love), I miss you too.

No comments: